What could be a more perfect finish to your 4th of July dinner or cookout than a red, white, and blue dessert?
How about an American flag dessert?
Even better…. an American flag PIE!
This stars and stripes American flag pie is quick and easy to create and it’s delicious too!
Shall we make one now?
Stars & Stripes American Flag Pie
Assemble the following…
Contains affiliate links*
- Pie Plate
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pastry Blender
- Rolling Pin I love
- Pizza Cutter
- Small Star Cookie Cutter or Knife & Star Pattern
- Measuring Cups & Measuring Spoons
- Aluminum Foil & Scissors
- The most accurate way to measure flour for a pie is to weigh it with a Digital Food Scale
- 1 Can of Cherry Pie Filling (mine came from Aldi)
- 1 Can of Blueberry Pie Filling
- Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust or…
- Ingredients for this pie crust recipe I use
- Take one half of your packaged or homemade pie crust and roll it out and lay it in your pie pan.
- Make a dam/divider. Tear off a piece of aluminum foil and fold it over several times until it’s about 2 inches high. Then fold the foil in half creating a sharp crease in the middle. Before you lay it in the pie plate, trim the ends to size and shape of the sides of the pie plate.
- Open your foil dam/divider to a 90 degree angle and place it in your pie plate as shown.
- Carefully spoon cherry filling against the foil divider and the same with the blueberry filling.
- Use the entire can of cherry filling to fill up the cherry side of the pie.
- Once the cherry is filled top the blueberry side to match the height of the cherries.
- Carefully lift up the foil divider and you’ll have a sharp clean division of cherries and blueberries.
- Trim any excess pie crust to slightly outside the outer edge of the pie plate.
- Roll out the remainder of the pie crust.
- With a pizza cutter or knife, cut 6 strips of pie crust approximately one inch high and long enough to attach to the sides of the pie as shown.
- Start by laying one pastry strip at the bottom of the blue filling to create a clean line.
- For the stripes next to the blueberry filling, carefully cut one edge at a perfect right angle to place at the dividing edge of the red and blue pie filling and lay across the cherry pie filling.
- Trim and press the edges of the strip laying on the pie crust edges into the crust.
- Continue until all 6 strips have been positioned.
- If you have a star cookie cutter… cut your stars out of the pastry.
- If not… use your template as a guide for cutting your stars as I did.
- Carefully lay your completed stars in a pleasing pattern on the blueberry filling.
- Fold the pastry to the inside and crimp with your fingertips.
- Place in a 425 degree oven for 35 minutes or until light golden brown. (Mine baked for 40 minutes… a little too long and a wee too dark.) If you like you can brush your crust with egg white… but I find that makes the pastry a little too brown for me. You could also dust it with sanding sugar… which I never, ever see in the store. So, if you find it… go for it.
Your own handcrafted stars and stripes American flag pie.
Simple. Easy. And Delicious!
Did you notice… the pie has 13 stripes?
It was totally an accident.
My husband pointed it out to me how impressed he was that I put 13 stripes on the “flag.”
Don’t you just love it when things turn out so serendipitously?
Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember seeing an American Flag Pie a few years ago. So when I was at Aldi last week and saw their cherry and blueberry pie filling I knew I wanted to create the pie. It was very easy to do, and I even made my own pie crust. The hardest part was creating a star template and cutting out the stars. So, if you have access to small star cookie cutters… you’ll want to use those.
Everyone who saw my pie was impressed. And frankly, I was too. There’s something really satisfying about having a project in your mind that you are able to pull off. And… it’s even better if it’s a tasty one.
If you can, serve it slightly warm, topped with a scoop of real ice cream. Yum!
What a great way to celebrate the Fourth of July!!
Happy Independence Day!!
Receive FREE inspiration like this in your inbox!
Sign up Now.
Click on the images below for more
Delicious Fourth of July Menu Ideas…
For more 4th of July ideas follow me on Pinterest.
*This post contains affiliate links. Your purchase through the links does not increase your costs, but I may receive remuneration for your purchase. AnExtraordinaryDay.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Sharing at a Life in Balance.