I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts, Michaels and Blueprint Social.
The opinions in this post are my own.
DIY Decorative Wood Tray :: Wall Art for Spring with Hope Quote
I love birds! This time of year, backyard feeders are busy with countless songbirds feasting. Just like me… I’m sure our feathered friends cannot wait for spring! But, until spring comes, we can have fun creating beauty for our living spaces with Spring Wood Surfaces from Michaels.
Recently I was blessed to be selected to participate in the Plaid: Michaels Spring Wood Run Challenge. Imagine my thrill when I opened my box of goodies to discover Spring Wood Surfaces in the form of birds, bird houses, bird cages, and a beautiful tray with the most intricate lattice style cut-outs on the side, all in my supply box. Plus, lots of fun Mod Podge and FolkArt supplies were in the box, too. Here’s a look:
Hmmm… what do I create from this wonderful array of supplies?
The challenge was to use the wood surface provided, which was the tray, and create something special using any of the supplies in my box of goodies. After a little thought, I decided that I would create some wall art for spring with a favorite hope quote. I’ve always loved these words of Emily Dickinson…
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I’ve heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
My husband and I daily cling to Hope.
What better reason for me to choose the love birds and the words from Dickinson for this project to make something beautiful for our living area and to serve as a reminder to keep Hope in our hearts.
I love how it turned out and know you’ll want to make one too.
Let’s make a DIY Decorative Wood Tray with Spring Wood Surfaces…
- Spring Wood Surfaces Tray
- Sheer Aqua Mod Podge
- Plain Paper
- Mod Podge (non colored)
- Love Birds Spring Wood Surfaces
- FolkArt Multi-Surface Paint – Lemon Silk Pearl
- FolkArt Multi-Surface Paint –Deep Ocean Blue
- Assortment of paint brushes… 1 inch bristle or pad brush and small artist brushes
- Brayer, not essential but helpful
- Small paper or plastic plates or small sour cream containers to hold Mod Podge and paints
- Plastic or Kraft paper to protect work surface
DIY Decorative Wood Tray Steps:
- Take a blank piece of white paper and cut it to fit in the tray, with a border of the tray around the paper as shown, so the tray will frame the quote on the paper. After cutting to size, set it aside for later.
- Grab a paint brush and paint your Spring Wood Surfaces tray, inside and outside leaving the back plain. I love blue mason jars and since I received Sheer Aqua Mod Podge I chose to paint the tray that color. It gives it a coastal vibe as well. You might choose to use a smaller artist brush for painting the lattice portion of the tray to prevent filling the crevices with paint. While the paint is drying (approximately 20 minutes), move on to the next step.
- Using some blank paper… practice your hand-lettering skills. (I was pretty rusty and needed a lot of practice.) You could print a quote out on a laser printer if you prefer.
- Take your blank sheet of paper which has been cut to size for the tray, place your Spring Wood Surfaces element where you’d like it to be, and make some pencil notations for properly spacing your lettering for the quote.
- Hand letter your quote and allow the ink to dry. (The love birds are positioned here for illustration only.)
- While the ink is drying apply more Sheer Aqua Mod Podge to the center surface of the tray. Wait 20 minutes before applying your hand-lettered quote.
- While the Mod Podge is setting up, paint the Spring Wood Surfaces love birds with a small brush. I used Lemon Silk Pearl and Deep Ocean Blue and then mixed the two to get the green shade for the stem and leaves.
- Using a non-colored Mod Podge, brush Mod Podge to the back of the hand-lettered quote paper completely. The paper will curl some… don’t worry about that.
- Immediately and carefully, center and position the coated sheet to the Spring Wood Surfaces tray. If you have a brayer… great, if not, carefully smooth the paper to eliminate any bubbles and to prevent wrinkling.
- Coat the surface of the quote with the Sheer Aqua Mod Podge and continue coating the entire tray for its second coat of color. I love the watery appearance of the quote.
- Apply Mod Podge to the back of the wood love birds and position on the quote, press firmly and allow time to dry.
- Set your completed project on a shelf or attach a hanger to the back of the tray to hang on the wall.
- Step back and admire your finished work!
This project contained a number of “firsts” for me….
Mod Podging a wooden element, Mod Podging a hand-lettered quote and a nearly full sheet of paper onto anything (I definitely need to get a brayer!), and detail hand-painting of the birds. Challenges are great, because they get us to do things that we typically don’t do. I enjoyed the challenge and look forward to experimenting more with Spring Wood Surfaces and Plaid products from Michaels.
You know how I struggle with perfection?
This project was not perfect. My hand lettering left a little to be desired. There were bubbles in the decoupaged quote because I didn’t have a brayer. The painting was not perfect. All things I’m sure you noticed. However… it looks pretty good, I had fun making it, and most of all… it will serve as an attractive reminder to keep our eyes fixed on the Giver of all Hope.
Connect with Plaid
Thank you for stopping by today.
If you enjoyed this post….please pass it on to your friends.
Click any of the sharing buttons at the bottom.
Wishing YOU an extraordinary day!
To receive FREE bits of inspiration like this
in your inbox or reader, subscribe now.
Check out what these talented bloggers are creating…
Sharing at these Extraordinary spots:
Living Well Spending Less + Imparting Grace + Joy in Our Home + Dwell Beautiful + Shabby Art Boutique + The Charm of Home + French Country Cottage + Nancherrow + A Glimpse Inside + Play Party Pin + Shaken Together Life + My Repurposed Life + Tidy Mom + My Romantic Home + The Answer is Chocolate + Life on Lakeshore Drive + One More Time Events + Pink When + House of Hipsters + A Life in Balance + Dwellings + Our Home Away from Home + A Stroll Through Life + Stone Gable + Cozy Little House + My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia + Yesterfood + Kathe with an E + Naptime Creations + Home Stories A to Z + Shoestring Elegance + AKA Design + Craftberry Bush + Green Willow Pond + Tatertots & Jello + Little Miss Celebration + It’s Overflowing + I Should be Mopping the Floor + DIY Showoff + Silver Pennies + Sew Can Do + The SITS Girls + Uncommon Designs + A Pinch of Joy + Create with Joy + Boogieboard Cottage + Homework + A Bowl Full of Lemons + DIY Dreamer + Savvy Southern Style + Just a Girl and Her Blog + Oh My! Creative + DIY by Design + From My Front Porch to Yours + A Handful of Everything + Share Your Cup Thursday + Ivy & Elephants + Posed Perfection + Live Laugh Rowe + Between Naps on the Porch