I’m a good person, you’re a good person, what could we possibly be tempted with? A cookie or piece of candy we shouldn’t have? For me, often times I’m tempted to worry or fret. One day I’ll overcome temptation to worry or fret. But, until then… I’ve acquired an arsenal of weapons to use when I’m tempted to start a journey of worrying or fretting. Just in case you need one too… I am sharing mine with you, today.
Now that I’ve fessed up…
Do you worry? Do you fret?
I know, it feels kind of icky to admit it doesn’t it? Usually that’s something we think we keep to ourselves. Unfortunately, as much as we might try to keep it hidden… everyone can see our worry. If it doesn’t show up in our speech, it usually shows up on our faces.
Have you ever found yourself chewing on a problem, thinking about it a lot, trying to figure a way out or through it? That’s fretting.
I’ve come to realize that just before we make our approach onto Worry Way or Fretting Freeway we have a choice as to whether or not we will make that first step?
Everyone has access to Worry Way or Fretting Freeway. Often, as with most any entrance ramp, there’s a quick merge into one of the lanes. It seems there’s hardly any thought that goes into traveling down either route. But, just like driving the car and turning onto the ramp or around the corner, there is a choice. It might be subtle. But it’s there.
What do you do when you find yourself on Worry Way, or Fretting Freeway?
- Pull out God’s promises.
- Meditate on his word.
- Write one of his promises on a card and carry it with you, read it often.
Here are some helpful scriptures…
- Jesus said,“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me. John 14:1
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- “Look at the birds in the air. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, but your heavenly Father feeds them. And you know that you are worth much more than the birds. You cannot add any time to your life by worrying about it. Matthew 6:26-27
- “And why do you worry about clothes?… But I tell you that even Solomon with his riches was not dressed as beautifully as one of these flowers. God clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today but tomorrow is thrown into the fire. So you can be even more sure that God will clothe you. Don’t have so little faith! Matthew 6:28, 30
- Seek first God’s kingdom and what God wants. Then all your other needs will be met as well. Matthew 6:33
- I always remember that the Lord is with me. He is here, close by my side, so nothing can defeat me. Psalm 16:8
- Brothers and sisters, think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected. Do what you learned and received from me, what I told you, and what you saw me do. And the God who gives peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9
- We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
- I will praise the Lord at all times. I will never stop singing his praises. Humble people, listen and be happy, while I brag about the Lord. Praise the Lord with me. Let us honor his name. I went to the Lord for help, and he listened. He saved me from all that I fear. If you look to him for help, he will put a smile on your face. You will have no need to be ashamed. As a poor, helpless man I prayed to the Lord, and he heard me. He saved me from all my troubles. Psalm 34:1-6
There are countless more scriptures. This is a good start for your arsenal.
When you find yourself stepping foot on Worry Way or Fretting Freeway… STOP!
Go to one or more of these scriptures. Do not give into the temptation!
There’s one more thing…
Lord, you are my God. I honor you and praise you,
because you have done amazing things.
You have always done what you said you would do;
you have done what you planned long ago.
Keep an attitude of praise. A song on your lips or in your heart for the Lord is undoubtedly the best weapon against worry and fret. Always remember, God is the same now and forever and that he does what he says he’ll do. Oh how worthy he is of our trust and praise.
What if you slip and give in to worry or fret?
Whether you find yourself in your first step or a day or week’s journey down Worry Way or Fretting Freeway, all these steps will work. There’s never a point of no return. You can choose to get off at any time. The exits are longer and slower than the entry ramps… but they will take you away from both of those dangerous roads.
You see… the more we practice this… the harder it will be to succumb to the temptation to worry or fret. The Holy Spirit catches us and nudges us to choose wisely.
- What is it that you’ve been ruminating about?
- What are you carrying in the back of your mind all the time?
- What are you wringing your hands over?
Maybe you’re already traveling Worry Way or Fretting Freeway. Maybe they are just around the corner for you.
What are you going to do when your find yourself making that first step onto Worry Way?
What do you need to do if you’re already speeding along Fretting Freeway?
Let’s do this together! Are you in?
The day we take time to look back over the past week and count ‘seven’… our joys and our sorrows… and give thanks.
There’s something wonderful that happens when we practice this counting. We start to see things in our day differently, we live with more joy and expectation. And peace.
Please join me in counting ‘seven.’
Lord, thank you for…
- your love and care and unexpected blessings.
- the huge answer to a long-prayed prayer for my friend.
- two totally unrelated ways you affirmed us this week.
- fun plans made with my dear friend and a mini vacation for this week.
- gorgeous moon beams
- how quickly you answered a big prayer.
- the grace of being called a join-heir with Jesus. Wow!
Now, it’s YOUR turn!
Scroll down to the “Share your extraordinary thoughts” below and tap in your ‘seven.’ You’ll be glad you did.
Receive FREE inspiration like this in your inbox! Sign up Now.
Sharing with these extraordinary friends
The SITS Girls