How would you like to breathe new life into your home decor? A quick and easy lampshade makeover can brighten your room, infuse it with color, or update your look. Sometimes, it really is just that easy to freshen up a room.
Don’t you love it when you come across a deal that’s perfect for a project on your to-do list?
One day I went to Lowe’s on a mission. Of course, as long as I was there I just had to stroll down the lighting aisles. Even if I don’t have a need, I just love to see, what’s new in lighting. That particular day, I noticed boxes of white lampshades in the aisle. But, what really drew my eye was the sign… $3.00!! I was beyond excited! Upon closer inspection, the shades were trimmed with Christmas fabric. Along the top and bottom edges. I wish I had a photo for you, but since I didn’t think to take a before shot, you’ll have to use your wonderful imagination.
I’m guessing that there aren’t a lot of people who have the space to store Christmas lampshades, no matter how cute they are. Hence… the fabulous sale!
For some time, I had been admiring a lamp base at the nearby Walmart. I needed something for my crafting table that looked great and would give me extra light for those detailed projects. But, I wasn’t exactly smitten with the shades available there.
After purchasing a Christmas lampshade at Lowe’s I walked next door with my fabulous find to Walmart to see how it would fit. I might or might not have been seen doing a happy dance in the aisle there. It was perfect.
Back home, I needed to figure out what I was going to do to replace the Christmas fabric edges. When I was at Lowe’s I discovered that the lamp shade trim would come off fairly easily. I just needed to see what I had in my stash that would work.
My stash contained some beautiful grosgrain ribbon I had purchased from Stampin’ Up. It’s a gorgeous shade of pale near aqua blue… nearly a perfect match to the newly painted walls in my studio.
I’m sorry the following tutorial does not include a ‘before’ photo. But, fortunately, it does include photographs of the process. This was a project I did in the months preceding my blogging career. I recently discovered the photos and because it just might be the inspiration you need to look at lamps and lampshades in a new light (intended pun!), I brought it out for you.
How to Give a Lampshade a Quick and Easy Makeover
Plain lampshade, ribbon, large paper clip, scissors, double stick tape.
- Let’s start with a plain lampshade.
- If your lamp shade has existing embellishment, carefully pull it off so you have a clean slate upon which to work your magic.
- Prepare your ribbon, but using a large paperclip to hold the ribbon while you wind it around the lampshade. Trim leaving an extra inch for the finishing fold.
- Cut small strips of double sided tape and add them around the edge of the lampshade as shown.
- To start adhering the ribbon to the lampshade, you will want to bump the ribbon edge up to the lampshade fold as shown.
- When you have completely covered the lampshade, trim to allow about 1/3 of an inch extra for the fold over.
- Place a strip of tape at the fold over edge as shown.
- And then fold over the edge, giving the ribbon a hard crease.
- Add a small piece of double stick tape to the folded edge of the ribbon and press down on the lampshade for the final finish.
- If you choose to trim the upper portion of the shade in the same manner, repeat the process.
- Tada! A quick and easy makeover you can do!
Take a look around your house. Consider adding a pretty ribbon trim to dress up a lamp and give your room a little pizzazz!
It’s quick and economical, too!
Please “Pin” and Share this image!
Do you have a lampshade that would benefit from a little makeover?
Receive FREE inspiration like this in your inbox! Sign up Now.