What can be prettier in the dead of winter than live plants sending up beautiful white flowers?
Today I’m sharing with you
A Visual Tutorial
for growing paperwhites for the holidays.
Are those just not the prettiest flowers ever?
You can pretty up your home with paperwhites too!
Here’s what to do….
Paperwhites : Easy DIY Holiday Project
1. Gather the following supplies:
- Waterproof container (I used a basket with a plastic liner)
- Small pebbles (I bought two sacks of tiny river rocks at the Dollar Tree)
- Paperwhite bulbs (Mine were purchased in bulk from our local Agway – farm/garden center)
- Pitcher of water (I used filtered)
2. Place one sack of pebbles in your waterproof container and place the bulbs on the stones with the hairy side down and the stem side up. (Don’t worry if your stem is shooting sideways. Just make sure the furry roots are bottom side down.)
3. Sprinkle the second bag of pebbles over the bulbs and sort of set the pot down hard a few times to settle in the stones and the bulbs. (The bulbs should be partially exposed…they do not need to be covered.)
4. Water. Pour in just enough to cover the bottom of the bulbs halfway…enough to rehydrate them. They should not be swimming in water. After the initial watering, water occasionally or when you can’t feel the water any more, and then only pour in enough to wet the roots. The flowers will last longer if their feet are not wet. Moist and wet is a world of difference. Over water and the plants will get floppy.
5. To get the bulbs to grow more quickly, I place them in the sun or near a heat source until they are up about 6 inches. After that I keep them in a bright spot, but not in direct sunlight. By keeping them out of the window they stand up a lot straighter.
6. After the plants are a foot tall I tie a strand of fishing line around them. This will help when one or more of the leaves or stems decides to become independent from the group. The fishing line is not attached to anything…but you could attach it to stick if you like.
Bulbs usually become available in late September. You may still be able to get some at your garden shop or farm store now. Or you may order Narcissus Ziva Paperwhites here.
My paperwhite bulbs took a little more than 2 weeks to grow and bloom. (I have had them take as long as 6 weeks in the past when they were in a colder room.) This batch has been flowering and looking great for nearly 2 weeks. Note: If you have a sensitivity to smells, these lovely blooms have a fairly strong but beautiful fragrance.
Paperwhites! Extraordinary beauty for Christmas, New Year’s, and on through Valentine’s Day! Plan ahead and have several growings through the winter months for gorgeous springtime loveliness.
Are you a fan of paperwhites?
What is your favorite paperwhite container?
Do you have any paperwhite tips to share?
What other plants to you enjoy for Christmastime?
If you’d enjoy more Christmas Home Decor Inspiration…please check out these posts:
Christmas Joy on the Sideboard
A Very Merry Christmas House Tour
Creatively Trimming the House with Trees for Christmas
Tablescaping with Silver for Christmas
To receive FREE bits of inspiration like this
in your inbox or reader, subscribe now.
If you enjoyed this post….please pass it on to your friends.
Click any of the sharing buttons at the bottom.
Sharing with DIY Show-off + Lil’ Luna + The Trendy Treehouse + Fine Craft Guild + Whimsy Wednesdays + Stone Gable + No Minimalist Here + House of Hepworths + Live Laugh Rowe + The Shabby Creek Cottage + Katherine’s Corner + Bloom + Imparting Grace + The Brambleberry Cottage + A Delightsome Life + From My Front Porch to Yours + The Charm of Home + Common Ground + French Country Cottage + Craftberry Bush + Thrifty Groove + Romantic Home + Studio JRU + Tidy Mom + Shabby Nest + Funky Junk Interiors + by Stephanie Lynn + Between Naps on the Porch + Cedar Hill Farmhouse + A Stroll Through Life + Cozy Little House + The Dedicated House
Please note the bulbs above are offered for your convenience from my affiliate link.
I will earn a commission if you purchase through that link. Thank you!!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thanks so much for reading!
Please stop by Longaberger Lifestyle
Bless Family & Friends with Unique Handmade Goodness from Longaberger!
Don’t miss out on the fantastic SALES every Tuesday & Wednesday!